Valley City State University
- Pricing & Details
(You Save: $30.00)
- Number of:
3 university semester credits, 4 university quarter credits
(university fees are additional)
This course focuses upon the all-important coaching relationship in improving student
reading achievement. Seven components of successful reading programs are the foundation
of reading achievement: phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, comprehension,
writing about the reading, and content area reading skills.
Intentional best practice in each reading component is emphasized as the basis for
the coaching interaction. Through learning activities, observations of teaching
and practice and application of skills, participants learn how to establish a positive,
respectful, caring and confidential coaching relationship that allows each partner
to grow and learn in a safe, collaborative and guiding atmosphere with the common
goal of increasing student reading achievement.
- Understand the elements of a positive coaching relationship
- Establish operating principles and plan for an effective coaching experience
- Understand best practice in each of the seven components of successful reading:
phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, comprehension, writing about the
reading, and reading in content area skills
- Understand how enduring understanding, student engagement, student outcomes, and
teacher behaviors that cause learning to happen are foundational to every subject
and to the coaching interaction
- Design and use essential questions in reading instruction and in coaching
- Use the Foundational Four in lesson planning and design
- Understand four components of reading instruction to plan for in every class, especially
content area instruction: reading with and to students, vocabulary/decoding, comprehension,
and writing about the reading
- Differentiate instruction based upon enduring understanding, while varying difficulty
and complexity of content that is read
- Choose effective methods for data collection and analysis
- Observe effective coaching methods and practices
- Identify effective communication structures and those that detract from a positive
- Construct effective reading lessons based upon research-based practice in reading
- Observe one another and conduct coaching conferences and feedback analysis
- Distinguish between effective and ineffective lessons/instructional episode/practices
- Learn how to assess text fit and to differentiate instruction using appropriate
resources and identified, common standards
- Differentiate comprehension questions, understanding that for some students literal
questions are more difficult than inferential
- Understand the different reading demands of specific subject areas and design lessons
to assist reading in content areas, with special emphasis upon reading rate
- Design a building-wide coaching and collaboration process for increasing student
- Observe and conduct an effective data-driven coaching conference
Course Description, Enrollment and Pricing
Valley City State University
CE Credits Online and Valley City State University (VCSU) are pleased to offer you online professional development courses designed to improve teaching and student achievement. VCSU offers post-baccalaureate, 700-level credits based on a semester system.
University credit fees are included in the price listed in the catalog when enrolling from this page. If enrolling from a different page the cost is $50 per credit, plus a $10 processing fee, payable to CE Credits Online.
Step 1: Initiating Your University Credit Request
CE Credits Online is the course provider and Valley City State University is the accrediting institution. The VCSU Office of Extended Learning issues the university credit, at a cost of $50 per credit. Upon completion of your course, you have two weeks to apply for VCSU university credit. Once CE Credits Online has verified that all your coursework is completed and approved, and we have received the credit fees, and any other fees, your completion paperwork will be sent to Valley City State University for processing at the end of each month. The processing of your credits can take up to 6-8 weeks from the time of your request.
Step 2: Confirming Your VCSU University Credit Request Has Been Processed
It can take VCSU 4 to 6 weeks to process your request once they have received it. You will know that you have been processed by logging on to CampusConnection and printing a free unofficial transcript. Accessing Grade Reports (Transcripts) Through CampusConnection http://www.vcsu.edu/extend/vp.htm?p=1018
Follow the onscreen directions
Step 3: Ordering an Official Transcript
Transcripts should be ordered after you have confirmed your unofficial transcript is available from VCSU.
A copy of the academic transcript may be obtained through the Office of the Registrar. Only the student may request the transcript. You can find more information on official transcripts at http://www.vcsu.edu/registrar/vp.htm?p=171
Information for North Dakota
North Dakota State Information
North Dakota Certification Renewal Requirements
Once an applicant has completed the requirements for the initial licensure, they may apply for renewal of the following licenses:
- Regular (Five-Year): Issued to individuals who have met all of the requirements for a ND Educator's Professional License and have successfully taught 18 months (full-time equivalent) in the state of North Dakota. Individuals must be under contract at least thirty days of the five-year period and complete four semester hours of re-education.
- Re-Entry (Two-Year): Issued to individuals who have been out of the teaching field for more than five years, or to out of state applicants who have not completed at least four semester hours of reeducation credit within the past five years. Eight semester hours of reeducation is required if the applicant signs a contract during the license period.
- Renewal and Substitute (Two-Year): [Description to be added]
- 30-year Life: A license issued to a teacher who has held a ND license for 30 years.
Referenced from: http://www.nd.gov/espb/licensure/renewal.html
Why choose CE Credits Online
How CE Credits Online Satisfies North Dakota Educator Certification Renewal Requirements
You may request university, post baccalaureate, academic credit(s) from one of CE Credits Online regionally accredited partner universities. CE Credits Online suggests each North Dakota educator contact their local professional development coordinator to obtain verification that the proposed activity meets criteria and needs of the teacher's individual Professional Development Plan (PDP), his/her school's professional development plan, and the local school system's professional development plan.
For a list of CE Credits Online university partners