This course explores a number of issues involved in helping learners develop their listening comprehension of English as a second or foreign language. Participants will explore and understand factors that affect the success or failure of listening comprehension, examine an adaptable lesson template that can be used to develop the listening comprehension of students, and look at specific listening activities targeted at novice-level, intermediate-level, and advanced-level students. The course will also highlight effective assessment methods, including computerized testing of listening ability.
Participants will be able to:
- Create pre-listening, while-listening, and after-listening (or post-listening) activities to build comprehension of spoken English, to help their students go through the steps that first language and second language listeners go through when they try to comprehend incoming information.
- Use the five language-teaching approaches (grammar-translation; direct method; audio-lingual, communicative language teaching, and task-based approach) and identify how the teaching of listening is (or is not) incorporated into these approaches.
- Create bottom-up, top-down, and interactive listening goals, and translate them into classroom activities and lessons appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level learners. Participants will be able to use intensive, responsive, and selective kinds of listening activities for the word level, sentence level, and for mini-talks and conversations.
- Create discrete-response tests of phonemic discrimination, paraphrase recognition, and response evaluation, with a cognitive understanding of the critical issues in testing and the purpose of the listening test to define the kind of test that will be created and used
- Begin at CE Credits Online Adams State University
- Select your course and click “Add to Cart”.
- Review cart and click “Login.”
- If you’re a new user, click “Create account.”
- If you’re a returning user, log in with your email and password.
- Click “Check Out.”
- Complete your order by entering your contact information. Click “Continue to Payment Method”.
- Click “Complete Order” once you have completed your payment.
- If you are a new user, you will receive an automated email from Schoology with your initial eClassroom Sign In information.
- You have 6 months (180 days) from your enrollment date to complete your course.
- If you have any questions, check out our FAQs or email email@example.com.
Upon Course Completion:
Upon successful completion of your course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion for your records.
* Obtaining Your Graduate Credits from Adams State University:
- Upon completion of your CE Credits Online course, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you would like to receive credits from Adams State University.
- CE Credits Online will email you instructions, including how to:
- Register and pay for your ASU graduate credits at Adams State University website.
- CE Credits Online will forward all the required documentation to the Adams State University.
- You will receive an official transcript from Adams State University in three to four weeks.
- Your official transcript will your include the name of the course, course number, number of credits, and your grade. Adams State University Sample Transcript
- You must check with your district to ensure the credits received will meet your specific requirements. We will not be held responsible if your school, district or state does not accept the credits issued.