This course focuses on effective strategies for English language reading instruction. Learn practical techniques and methods for teaching reading in any ELL environment. Explore key issues related to the successful teaching of reading, such as the role of reading within an ELL curriculum and detailed classroom teaching techniques. Topics include, engagement, motivation, modeling, intensive and extensive reading, vocabulary challenges, comprehension skills, reading rate, reading strategies lesson planning, selecting materials and assessment. This course provides many practical approaches and strategies to improve teaching and learning in the ELL reading environment.
Participants will be able to:
- Assess students level of motivation, and use strategies for motivating, engaging, and inspiring students in the reading classroom, and discover how students first-language (L1) reading skills impact their second language (L2) proficiency, especially in regard to reading.
- Integrate intensive and extensive reading in their curriculum, working with students to develop their reading rate and become more confident, fluent, and engaged readers.
- Integrate vocabulary teaching into reading curriculum using very valuable high-frequency word lists.
- Design a strong curriculum using the components of effective lesson planning, including how to integrate other language skills along with reading, come up with teaching objectives, sequence your activities, and measure your effectiveness.
- Assess students learning through formative and summative testing, and support the students as they prepare for standardized tests like the TOEFL and IELTS.
- Begin at CE Credits Online Adams State University
- Select your course and click “Add to Cart”.
- Review cart and click “Login.”
- If you’re a new user, click “Create account.”
- If you’re a returning user, log in with your email and password.
- Click “Check Out.”
- Complete your order by entering your contact information. Click “Continue to Payment Method”.
- Click “Complete Order” once you have completed your payment.
- If you are a new user, you will receive an automated email from Schoology with your initial eClassroom Sign In information.
- You have 6 months (180 days) from your enrollment date to complete your course.
- If you have any questions, check out our FAQs or email email@example.com.
Upon Course Completion:
Upon successful completion of your course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion for your records.
* Obtaining Your Graduate Credits from Adams State University:
- Upon completion of your CE Credits Online course, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you would like to receive credits from Adams State University.
- CE Credits Online will email you instructions, including how to:
- Register and pay for your ASU graduate credits at Adams State University website.
- CE Credits Online will forward all the required documentation to the Adams State University.
- You will receive an official transcript from Adams State University in three to four weeks.
- Your official transcript will your include the name of the course, course number, number of credits, and your grade. Adams State University Sample Transcript
- You must check with your district to ensure the credits received will meet your specific requirements. We will not be held responsible if your school, district or state does not accept the credits issued.