The goal of this course is to provide NYC DOE ASPDP teachers with the skills necessary to advocate for and effectively teach students with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). Those skills will be developed through an exploration of the defining components of ASD diagnosis, assessment, treatment, and services, as well as strategies, programs, and available services for addressing the key components of ASD through evidence-based practices. Throughout the course, participants will also be asked to reflect on their prior experience and apply the concepts and strategies they learn to improve current practices.
In the final project, New York City teachers will create a comprehensive student plan for an ASD-eligible student. The student plan will demonstrate the participant’s knowledge of the various concepts, practices, and resources explored throughout the course.
As a result of this course, NYC DOE ASPDP teachers will:
- Define Autism Spectrum Disorder by its key components.
- Differentiate between medical diagnosis and school-based ASD eligibility.
- Examine the challenges that students with ASD face with social interactions, communication, and other behaviors.
- Apply programs, services, and classroom strategies for addressing the challenges faced by students with ASD .
- Create a plan for the effective implementation of various resources to provide a holistic experience for each and every student.
How to Register and Enroll
To complete enrollment you must register and pay for each course on both the CE Credits Online website and the ASPDP site.
- Add the P Credit course(s) to your Cart.
- When you are ready to check out, go to your cart. You will be asked to log-in to your account or create a new account.
- Follow the enrollment and payment prompts. If you have a coupon/discount, you will be asked to enter it during the enrollment process.
- Upon purchase, you will receive an email receipt and be able to login to your eClassroom at CE Credits Online
- Important: You must register for each CE Credits Online course on the NYC DOE ASPDP website. Our courses are in the ASPDP catalog using the provider drop-down menu and selecting CE Credits Online. At that time you will pay the NYC DOE ASPDP fee of $125 for a 3 P Credit course $45 for a 1 P Credit course when you register.
- Please Read: ASPDP FAQs for more information. Courses must be complete by the end of each semester to receive credit. You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
“P” Credit, A+ Credit and CTLE hour Requirements
Courses are available for “P” credits and A+ Credits for NYC Salary Differentials and/or CTLE hours.
Credits Earned: 1 or 3 “P” Credits or A+ Credits and/or 15 or 45 CTLE Hours.
You can take up to 12 Credits per provider each semester.
You must earn your 30 credits above your master’s degree to qualify for a salary differential. Your NYCDOE date of hire determines how many of these credits can be fulfilled by A+ credit, and/or other credits (i.e., P credit, graduate courses taken through a college or university, CLEP tests, and a 2nd Master’s degree):
- Fully appointed teacher hired on or after September 1, 2019 must obtain a minimum of 18 A+ credits in order to earn their salary differential unless they have already attained an additional Doctorate, or an additional Master’s in an approved related area as determined by the Joint Accreditation Committee (JAC).
- Fully appointed teacher hired on or after September 1, 2017 but before September 1, 2019 must obtain a minimum of 6 A+ credits towards their differential unless they already earned their salary differential before September 1, 2019.
- Fully appointed teachers hired before September 1, 2017 are not required to use A+ credits to obtain their salary differential. If they choose to submit A+ credits towards their salary differential, they must obtain a minimum of 6 A+ credits.
All ASPDP courses can count toward A+ or P credit. You must register with ASPDP by the registration deadline to earn credit toward your +30. You will not be eligible for credit toward your salary differential if you do not register with ASPDP by the deadline.