This course equips teacher learners with the knowledge and tools necessary to ensure that all students are empowered to become proficient problem solvers and communicators of mathematics. This goal is pursued through a language-centered approach that highlights the essential role of communication in developing students’ capacities for comprehension, critical thinking, and clear exposition of mathematical ideas. Emphasis is placed on leveraging students’ community-based knowledge and honoring the multitude of preferred modes of learning and self-expression.
As a result of this course, participants will:
- Explain the important role of problem solving and mathematical literacy in preparing students to navigate an increasingly technical and data-driven society
- Engage and empower students to become critical participants in society by showing them how math can be used to investigate realistic and relatable sociocultural issues
- Mitigate against the deleterious effects of math anxiety and negative math attitudes by cultivating a psychologically safe and multiculturally affirming classroom environment
- Teach and model a structured, yet flexible approach to problem solving that is characterized by productive struggle and a tolerance for ambiguity
- Utilize a variety of strategies and downloadable resources to provide students regular opportunities to speak, write, and otherwise communicate their mathematical thinking
- Conduct meaningful multimodal assessment that honors the multitude of preferred learning styles and modes of expression without sacrificing mathematical rigor
How to Register and Enroll
To complete enrollment you must register and pay for each course on both the CE Credits Online website and the ASPDP site.
- Add the P Credit course(s) to your Cart.
- When you are ready to check out, go to your cart. You will be asked to log-in to your account or create a new account.
- Follow the enrollment and payment prompts. If you have a coupon/discount, you will be asked to enter it during the enrollment process.
- Upon purchase, you will receive an email receipt and be able to login to your eClassroom at https://www.cecreditsonline.org/
- Important: You must register for each CE Credits Online course on the NYC DOE ASPDP website. Our courses are in the ASPDP catalog using the provider drop-down menu and selecting CE Credits Online. At that time you will pay the NYC DOE ASPDP fee of $125 for a 3 P Credit course $45 for a 1 P Credit course when you register.
- Please Read: ASPDP Refund Policy & Program Policy for more information. Courses must be complete by the end of each semester to receive credit. You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
“P” Credit, A+ Credit and CTLE hour Requirements
Courses are available for “P” credits and A+ Credits for NYC Salary Differentials and/or CTLE hours.
Credits Earned: 1 or 3 “P” Credits or A+ Credits and/or 15 or 45 CTLE Hours.
You can take up to 12 Credits per provider each semester.