As the school population of English Language Learners continues increasing rapidly across the United States, classroom teachers from K-12 are confronted with the great challenge of helping them acquire skills in English in addition to teaching them in the content areas. Many teachers do not have the training or knowledge to confront the task, and schools may not have the resources to assist them. This course provides teachers with the background necessary to meet the needs of students from different countries and cultures including encouraging intercultural exchanges, information about assessment and the language learning process, cultural awareness, and a wide range of techniques and suggestions for offering a high-quality learning experience for ELLs.
Understanding ELLs and their diversity is of paramount importance. This course will give you the tools you need to better serve the English Language Learners who enter your classroom. We will explore the historical, social, and political background of non-native English speakers in the U.S. and work on improving our cultural awareness and sensitivity. We will then learn about second language acquisition and the best ways to provide feedback to learners, followed by an exploration of the language skills learners need to be successful. We will move on to examining how teachers can implement accommodations for ELLs in the content areas and finally, discussing how to monitor language development, build community, and seek support for yourself and your students. By the end of the course, you should have the tools you need to confidently welcome new language learners into your classroom and provide them with the support they need to succeed.
This course may be used toward the NYS CTLE Language Acquisition requirement.
To Enroll in a Course:
- Select the salary advancement or recertification course or courses for New York teachers you wish to take.
- Choose the version of this course you would like to take: Course + Credit (credit fees are included, and you will receive an official University transcript) or Course Only (you will receive a Certificate of Completion that includes our CTLE Sponsor ID Number).
- Add the course to your Cart and continuing shopping, if you’d like to purchase more courses.
- When you are ready to check out, go to your cart. You will be asked to log-in to your account or create a new account.
- Follow the enrollment and payment prompts. If you have a coupon/discount, you will be asked to enter it during the enrollment process.
- Upon purchase, you will receive an email receipt and be able to login to your course at eclassroom.cecreditsonline.org. You have 180 days from your purchase to complete your course.
- If you have any questions, check out our FAQs or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Course + Credits Courses
- Upon successful completion of your course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion for your records that will include the name of the course and the number of professional development hours completed and the CE Credits Online CTLE Sponsor ID Number.
- See Registration and Continuing Teacher and Leader Education Requirements for more information.
- CTLE Individual Record
- CE Credits Online will forward all the required documentation to the University you selected.
- The University partner will process your course completion and provide a graduate-level professional development transcript that includes the name of the course, course number, number of credits, and your grade.
- You will receive directions on how to receive your transcript in email form, and you can also review the University Partners section of our website for more information.
- You must check with your district to ensure the credits received will meet your specific requirements. We will not be held responsible if your school, district or state does not accept the credits issued.
Course Only Courses
- Upon successful completion of your course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion for your records that will include the name of the course, the number of professional development hours completed and the CE Credits Online CTLE Sponsor ID Number.
- The Certificate of Completion is designed as a record that verifies that a professional development course was taken and passed.