When students don't feel safe in school, they don't thrive academically, socially, and emotionally. According to a 2015 survey from the National Center for Educational Statistics, more than one out of every five students (20.8%) has reported being bullied. Bullying takes many forms and impacts not only the student being bullied, but the entire school community. Participants of this course will be equipped with the knowledge and tools to build safe school communities that identify bullying behaviors quickly (and even before they happen), empower students to move from bystander to advocate, and use character development and social-emotional learning to build stronger school communities.
Techniques for effective interventions as well as best practices from both a teacher and school-wide perspective will be provided to enable participants to address (cyber)bullying concerns within their respective schools and communities. Participants will leave the course with a framework for implementing classroom meetings to foster a positive classroom climate, integrating social-emotional learning/character education, and speaking with key stakeholders (parents, other teachers, and administrators) to prevent (cyber)bullying in and out of the classroom.
Participants will be able to:
- Conclude that building and maintaining safe communities for children facilitates their learning and fosters positive personal growth and development
- Develop a fundamental understanding of bullying behavior and the roles that stakeholders play
- Differentiate between types of bullying behavior including aggression, discriminatory harassment, and cyberbullying
- Evaluate how differing forms of bullying warrant various intervention and prevention approaches
- Assess the need for bullying prevention interventions within his/her own classrooms, schools, and districts
- Propose effective teacher-based strategies for bullying intervention/prevention both within and outside the classroom: character education, social-emotional learning, and classroom management strategies
- Conclude how social-emotional learning and character education is a foundation for fostering citizenship in students and promoting safe and supportive learning environments
- Establish communities of practice within a school that act as collaborative measures in facilitating and maintaining positive school culture and climate
- Select from two options:
- Course + Credits (credit fees are included in the cost, and you will receive an official University transcript), or select
- Course Only (you will receive a Certificate of Completion to use to obtain your Clock Hours).
- Add the course to your Cart and continuing shopping, if you’d like to purchase more courses.
- When you are ready to check out, go to your cart. You will be asked to log-in to your account or create a new account.
- Follow the enrollment and payment prompts. If you have a coupon/discount, you will be asked to enter it during the enrollment process.
- Upon purchase, you will receive an email receipt and be able to login to your course at eclassroom.cecreditsonline.org. You have 6 months (180 days) from your purchase to complete your course.
- If you have any questions, check out our FAQs or email email@example.com.
Upon Course Completion:
Graduate-Level Professional Development Credits
- Upon successful completion of your course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion for your records.
- CE Credits Online will forward all the required documentation to the University you selected.
- The University partner will process your course completion and provide a transcript that includes the name of the course, course number, number of credits, and your grade.
- You will receive directions on how to receive your transcript in email form, and you can also review the University Partners section of our website for more information.
- You must check with your district to ensure the credits received will meet your specific requirements. We will not be held responsible if your school, district or state does not accept the credits issued.
To Receive your Clock Hours:
Requirements Necessary to Validate your completion:
- Your Certificate of Completion
Once you complete your course, a Certificate of Completion will be emailed to you.
Forward your Certificate to:
Mary Kempel: firstname.lastname@example.org
Once validated you will receive an email from pdEnroller that clock hours are available to purchase in your online account.
If you already have an account in pdEnroller (https://www.pdenroller.org/newesd101/Catalog) you may log in and purchase, then print a transcript. If it is your first time visiting pdEnroller you MUST activate your account first by selecting the prompt at the top of the screen.
Clock Hours are $3 per hour.