This course focuses on effective content-based instructional strategies for English language learners (ELL). Learn how to balance the dual focus on language and subject matter, and also learn a helpful framework for designing content-based classes and lessons. Examine different criteria for choosing and developing the content to teach, as well as factors influencing the choice, development, and adaptation of materials. Learn several useful activity types and how to integrate listening, speaking, reading, and writing in content-based instruction with students at different proficiency levels. Explore and learn how to implement technological resources available for developing content-based curricula, and understand how assessment is affected by the use of content-based instruction.
Participants will be able to:
- Apply the Six-T's Approach to developing their own content-based lessons. Originally proposed by Stoller and Grabe (1997), the Six-T's provides a useful framework for designing content-based courses.
- Integrate the four skills and language components in content-based instruction and develop a content-based unit that includes prototypical activities in order to create an integrated-skills focus.
- Work with students at various proficiency levels, using techniques related to using content-based instruction with (literate) beginners, false beginners, intermediate, and advanced language learners.
- Incorporate numerous technological resources that can be used in content-based instruction. These include Internet resources, such as websites that give information about language learning and teaching, as well as those that provide subject matter information.
- Assess issues in content-based instruction and assess learners' language skills and content knowledge with the main purposes of language testing and criteria used to evaluate language measures.
- Explain the role alternative and authentic assessment play in language testing and content-based instruction.
To Enroll in a Course:
- SelectCourse Only (you will receive a Certificate of Completion to use to obtain your Salary Points).
- Add the course to your Cart and continuing shopping, if you’d like to purchase more courses.
- When you are ready to check out, go to your cart. You will be asked to log into your account or create a new account.
- Follow the enrollment and payment prompts. If you have a coupon/discount, you will be asked to enter it during the enrollment process.
- Upon purchase, you will receive an email receipt and be able to log into your course at eclassroom.cecreditsonline.org. You have 180 days from your purchase to complete your course.
- If you have any questions, check out our FAQs or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Graduate-level Professional Development Credits
- We have partnered with regionally-accredited universities to provide graduate-level professional development credits for all courses. Courses taken for graduate-level credit receive both a Certificate of Completion for your records and an official University Transcript.
- Credits may be requested from your account page.
- CE Credits Online will forward all the required documentation to the University you selected.
- The University partner will process your course completion and provide a transcript that includes the name of the course, course number, number of credits, and your grade.
- You will receive directions on how to receive your transcript in email form, and you can also review the University Partners section of our website for more information.
- Note: If you would like to take courses with Adams State University, please purchase the Course Only version of the course and upon completion email email@example.com to request your graduate credits from Adams State University. Each graduate credit costs $55.
- You must check with your district to ensure the credits received will meet your specific requirements. We will not be held responsible if your school, district or state does not accept the credits issued.
- We offer all of our courses as a Course Only option that can be used to meet your LAUSD Independent Charter School recertification or professional development needs (always check with your district/state to determine eligibility).
- Course Only courses are eligible for Salary Points.
- Upon successful completion of your course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion for your records that will include the name of the course and number of professional development hours completed and should be submitted for Salary Points.
- The Certificate of Completion acts as a record that verifies that a professional development course was taken and passed.