Content-based Instructional Strategies for ELL
This course focuses on effective content-based instructional strategies for English language learners (ELL). Learn how to balance the dual focus on language and subject matter, and also learn a helpful framework for designing content-based classes and lessons. Examine different criteria for choosing and developing the content to teach, as well as factors influencing the choice, development, and adaptation of materials. Learn several useful activity types and how to integrate listening, speaking, reading, and writing in content-based instruction with students at different proficiency levels. Explore and learn how to implement technological resources available for developing content-based curricula, and understand how assessment is affected by the use of content-based instruction.
Participants will be able to:
- Apply the Six-T's Approach to developing their own content-based lessons. Originally proposed by Stoller and Grabe (1997), the Six-T's provides a useful framework for designing content-based courses.
- Integrate the four skills and language components in content-based instruction and develop a content-based unit that includes prototypical activities in order to create an integrated-skills focus.
- Work with students at various proficiency levels, using techniques related to using content-based instruction with (literate) beginners, false beginners, intermediate, and advanced language learners.
- Incorporate numerous technological resources that can be used in content-based instruction. These include Internet resources, such as websites that give information about language learning and teaching, as well as those that provide subject matter information.
- Assess issues in content-based instruction and assess learners' language skills and content knowledge with the main purposes of language testing and criteria used to evaluate language measures.
- Explain the role alternative and authentic assessment play in language testing and content-based instruction.
tell us a little about yourself