Engaging Parents Effectively to Remove Barriers to Learning
3 Salary Points , K-12 , ELLs , Instructional Strategies
- Course Only
- 45 Hrs./3 Salary Points
Regular price $249.00 3 salary points
There is widespread recognition that increasing parent engagement with schools (in general) and in their child’s education (in particular) is an essential component of any quality educational process. Educators must be prepared to engage parents effectively, regardless of the topic, to remove any and all barriers to learning.
After taking this course, educators will:
- Understand how all communication with parents and community is important and vital to the process of removing barriers to learning for individual students.
- Recognize that while research supports effective parent engagement, it is necessary to have research- and evidence-based strategies and plans for successful communications.
- Learn about the Safety, Order and Rights value set and how these form a lens through which all parent and community interactions can be viewed and articulated.
- Learn about the Seven C’s of effective communication and how educators can use them to their advantage when interacting with parents on any topic.
- Locate and learn about federal and state laws as well as district policies that may drive technical aspects of our communication with parents.
- Learn about a 4-part communication plan (i.e., C.A.R.D.) that will guide in communication with parents regardless of topic or context.
Participants will be able:
- To investigate a technique designed to improve teacher/parent interaction.
- To perform the skill and develop mastery of the technique.
- To adopt Safety, Order, and Rights, and utilize it as a fundamental tool for teacher/parent interaction.
Enrolling in a Course:
- Add the course to your Cart and continuing shopping, if you’d like to purchase more courses.
- When you are ready to check out, go to your cart. You will be asked to log-in to your account or create a new account.
- Follow the enrollment and payment prompts. If you have a coupon/discount, you will be asked to enter it during the enrollment process.
- You will be asked to provide your LAUSD Employe Number and the name of the school that you currently or most recently taught at.
- Upon purchase, you will receive an email receipt and be able to login to your a eClassroom account. You have 180 days from your purchase to complete your course.
- If you have any questions, check out our FAQs or email email@example.com.
LAUSD teachers are able to submit up to 12 credits/salary points from CE Credits Online per trimester (Jan-Apr, May-Aug, Sept-Dec).
LAUSD/UTLA requires the following amount of time for Salary Point courses:
- Salary Point Course: 45 Hours (15 in the online classroom and 30 of outside work)
- Salary Point Course: 90 Hours (30 in the online classroom and 60 hours of outside work)
- Salary Point Course: 135 (45 hours in the online classroom and 90 hours of outside work)
Outside work is tracked by a Time Log for every course. Outside work includes assignment preparation time, data analysis used in assignments, accessing the many resources linked throughout the course and collaboration. We maintain your Time Log in the event your district requests proof of your work.
Receiving Salary Points
- Submit your Time Log in the eClassroom at the end of the course.
- Your completion paperwork will be submitted directly to the LAUSD Professional Development Unit by CE Credits Online along with the NA Claim for Staff Development Point Project form at the beginning of the following month.
- PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT ADDITIONAL PAPERWORK If you decide to request graduate credits for your completed course, the official transcript you receive from the university will be for your own personal records. Each course can only be submitted once, and we will provide all necessary paperwork to LAUSD.
- Salary point credit approval for NA Forms is done by the Professional Development Unit and may take up to 3 months to process. The delay in processing your salary points will not affect the eligibility date of your schedule advancement, as they are backdated to the date of completion. If the points from your NA Form have not been posted to your account on the LAUSD website at the end of 3 months, please contact the Salary Allocation Unit at 213-241-5100.
- We highly recommend that you check the number of salary points you have in your account before you complete your CE Credits Online course(s). Then check again eight weeks after receiving notification on your Student Homepage that your completion paperwork has been processed and submitted to the Salary Point Committee by CE Credits Online. Since the new salary points are added to your account without identifying the coursework for which you earned the Salary Points this will help you to identify receiving the additional salary point(s).
- You may check the status of your Salary Points HERE.
Receiving Graduate Credits
- Upon completion, email firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know you have completed the course, which university you have selected (see University Partners).
- CE Credits Online will email you instructions on how to pay for and obtain the graduate credits ($50-$55/credit).
- CE Credits Online will forward all necessary documentation to the university you selected enabling you to receive an official transcript.