Improving English Language Learner Instruction through the Use of Technology
This course explores technologies that support language development as well as academic achievement for K-12 English language learners. Emphasis is on technologies that support English language development and communication skills, such as dedicated software programs, websites, and other technology resources. In addition, participants will learn how technologies that were developed for other purposes, such as word processing, can be used in targeted ways to promote English language development. Participants will benefit from numerous resource links for improving English Language Instruction through the use of technology.
Participants will be able to:
- Provide a rationale for using language learning technologies to support ELLs' English language development and academic achievement in English. Explain the role of input, interaction, and output in learning second languages. Describe the principles of content-based instruction for language development.
- Identify the major phases in the field of language learning technology, or CALL. Identify the major CALL organizations and their resources and evaluate software for functionality and content.
- Describe various technologies that support content-based instruction, including native language resources and resources that provide suitable input, interaction, and output for learning and demonstrating mastery of content, depending on the learner's level of English proficiency.
- Describe various distance learning technologies and how they might be applied to teaching ESL, including course management systems (Blackboard, Moodle) and integrated online courseware
- Identify quality indicators for distance learning programs, pedagogical principles for engaging distance learning courses and various distance learning resources
- Describe computer-mediated communication that facilitate language learning including, videoconferencing, instant messaging, bulletin boards, e-mail and social networking sites.
tell us a little about yourself