When students don't feel safe in school, they don't thrive academically, socially, and emotionally. According to a 2015 survey from the National Center for Educational Statistics, more than one out of every five students (20.8%) has reported being bullied. Bullying takes many forms and impacts not only the student being bullied, but the entire school community. Pasadena Unified School District teachers will be equipped with the knowledge and tools to build safe school communities that identify bullying behaviors quickly (and even before they happen), empower students to move from bystander to advocate, and use character development and social-emotional learning to build stronger school communities.
Techniques for effective interventions as well as best practices from both a teacher and school-wide perspective will be provided to enable participants to address (cyber)bullying concerns within their respective schools and communities. Pasadena Unified teachers will leave the course with a framework for implementing classroom meetings to foster a positive classroom climate, integrating social-emotional learning/character education, and speaking with key stakeholders (parents, other teachers, and administrators) to prevent (cyber)bullying in and out of the classroom.
Pasadena Unified School District teachers will be able to:
- Conclude that building and maintaining safe communities for children facilitates their learning and fosters positive personal growth and development
- Develop a fundamental understanding of bullying behavior and the roles that stakeholders play
- Differentiate between types of bullying behavior including aggression, discriminatory harassment, and cyberbullying
- Evaluate how differing forms of bullying warrant various intervention and prevention approaches
- Assess the need for bullying prevention interventions within his/her own classrooms, schools, and districts
- Propose effective teacher-based strategies for bullying intervention/prevention both within and outside the classroom: character education, social-emotional learning, and classroom management strategies
- Conclude how social-emotional learning and character education is a foundation for fostering citizenship in students and promoting safe and supportive learning environments
- Establish communities of practice within a school that act as collaborative measures in facilitating and maintaining positive school culture and climate
To Enroll in a Course:
- Select either the Course + Credits option (credit fees are included and you will receive an official University transcript) or Course Only (you will receive a Certificate of Completion to use to obtain your Salary Class Change credit).
- If you select Course + Credits option, you will also select the university from which you wish to receive your credits.
- Add the course to your Cart and continuing shopping, if you’d like to purchase more courses.
- When you are ready to check out, go to your cart. You will be asked to log-in to your account or create a new account.
- Follow the enrollment and payment prompts. If you have a coupon/discount, you will be asked to enter it during the enrollment process.
- Upon purchase, you will receive an email receipt and be able to login to your course at eclassroom.cecreditsonline.org. You have 180 days from your purchase to complete your course.
- If you have any questions, check out our FAQs or email email@example.com.
Course + Credits Courses
- We have partnered with regionally-accredited universities to provide graduate-level professional development credits for our courses. See our University Partners tab for a description.
- All courses taken for graduate-level credit receive both a Certificate of Completion for your records and an official University Transcript.
- Upon completion of your course, CE Credits Online will forward all the required documentation to the University you selected.
- The University partner will process your course completion and provide a transcript that includes the name of the course, course number, number of credits, and your grade.
- You will receive directions on how to receive your transcript in email form, and you can also review the University Partners section of our website for more information.
- Note: If you would like to take courses with Adams State University, please purchase the Course (only) version of the course and upon completion email firstname.lastname@example.org to inform us you wish to receive your graduate credit through Adams State University. The cost will be $55/credit and you will be instructed how to pay Adams State University directly.
- You must check with your district to ensure the credits received will meet your specific requirements. We will not be held responsible if your school, district or state does not accept the credits issued.
To Receive Salary Class Change:
Unit members on contract seeking a salary class change must complete the Application for Salary Class Change form and submit both the CE Credits Online Certificate of Completion and the Application to the Certificated Personnel Office to receive Salary Class Change. You will be emailed a Certificate of Completion when you have successfully completed your course.