The goal of this course is to provide Texas Region 10 teachers with the skills necessary to advocate for and effectively teach students with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). Those skills will be developed through an exploration of the defining components of ASD diagnosis, assessment, treatment, and services, as well as strategies, programs, and available services for addressing the key components of ASD through evidence-based practices. Throughout the course, participants will also be asked to reflect on their prior experience and apply the concepts and strategies they learn to improve current practices.
In the final project, participants will create a comprehensive student plan for an ASD-eligible student. The student plan will demonstrate the participant’s knowledge of the various concepts, practices, and resources explored throughout the course.
As a result of this course, participants will:
- Define Autism Spectrum Disorder by its key components.
- Differentiate between medical diagnosis and school-based ASD eligibility.
- Examine the challenges that students with ASD face with social interactions, communication, and other behaviors.
- Apply programs, services, and classroom strategies for addressing the challenges faced by students with ASD .
- Create a plan for the effective implementation of various resources to provide a holistic experience for each and every student.
Enrollment is a two-step process:
To Register/Enroll in a Course:
- Register with Region 10 ESC by going to Region 10 Education Service Center.
- Once you have registered, Region 10 will email you a prepaid enrollment code to use to enroll at CE Credits Online.
- Begin at https://www.cecreditsonline.org/collections/region-10
- Select your course and click “Add to Cart”.
- Review cart and click “Login”.
- If you’re a new user, click “Create account”. If you’re a returning user, log in with your email and password.
- You will now be returned to the cart. Enter your enrollment code and click “Validate”.
- Click “Check Out”.
- Complete your order by entering your contact information. Click “Continue to Payment Method”. (You will not be charged or need to enter a credit card number)
- Click “Complete Order”.
- If you are a new user, you will receive an automated email from Schoology with your initial eClassroom Sign In information.
- You have 180 days from your enrollment date to complete your course.
- If you have any questions, check out our FAQs or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions regarding the registration or payment process through Region 10, please contact:
CPE Credit: All courses are approved for CPE credit.
Upon Course Completion:
Obtaining Graduate-Level Professional Development Credits
- We have partnered with regionally-accredited universities to provide graduate-level professional development credits for our courses.
- Upon successful completion of your course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion for your records.
- Select the university (see University Partners tab) from whom you want your credits--the university or universities that are providing credits for a specific course are listed in the drop down in each course description.
- Email email@example.com to let us know you are completed and which university you have selected for your credits.
- CE Credits Online will email you instructions on how to pay for the credits ($55/credit).
- Upon completion of your course, CE Credits Online will forward all the required documentation to the University you selected.
- The University partner will process your course completion and provide a transcript that includes the name of the course, course number, number of credits, and your grade.
- You will receive directions on how to receive your transcript in email form, and you can also review the University Partners section of our website for more information.
- You must check with your district to ensure the credits received will meet your specific requirements. We will not be held responsible if your school, district or state does not accept the credits issued.
Obtaining CPE Credits
- Upon successful completion of your course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion for your records that will include the name of the course, the number of professional development hours completed and our CPE Provider number.
- The Certificate of Completion is designed as a record that verifies that a professional development course was taken and passed.