This course explores a number of issues involved in helping learners develop their listening comprehension of English as a second or foreign language. Participants will explore and understand factors that affect the success or failure of listening comprehension, examine an adaptable lesson template that can be used to develop the listening comprehension of students, and look at specific listening activities targeted at novice-level, intermediate-level, and advanced-level students. The course will also highlight effective assessment methods, including computerized testing of listening ability.
Participants will be able to:
- Create pre-listening, while-listening, and after-listening (or post-listening) activities to build comprehension of spoken English, to help their students go through the steps that first language and second language listeners go through when they try to comprehend incoming information.
- Use the five language-teaching approaches (grammar-translation; direct method; audio-lingual, communicative language teaching, and task-based approach) and identify how the teaching of listening is (or is not) incorporated into these approaches.
- Create bottom-up, top-down, and interactive listening goals, and translate them into classroom activities and lessons appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level learners. Participants will be able to use intensive, responsive, and selective kinds of listening activities for the word level, sentence level, and for mini-talks and conversations.
- Create discrete-response tests of phonemic discrimination, paraphrase recognition, and response evaluation, with a cognitive understanding of the critical issues in testing and the purpose of the listening test to define the kind of test that will be created and used
We offer online professional development courses for teachers in Texas that are eligible for Graduate-level Professional Development Credit and CPE credits towards Texas State License Renewal.
TEA-approved CPE providers list.
- Texas Approved CPE Provider # 500-494 (Since 2004)
- Our provider name is: CPE Credits Online
To Enroll in a Course:
- Choose the version of this course you would like to take: Course + Credit (you will receive an official University transcript) or Course Only (you will receive a Certificate of Completion to use to obtain your CPE credits).
- Add the course to your Cart and continuing shopping, if you’d like to purchase more courses.
- When you are ready to check out, go to your cart. You will be asked to log-in to your account or create a new account.
- Follow the enrollment and payment prompts. If you have a coupon/discount, you will be asked to enter it during the enrollment process.
- Upon purchase, you will receive an email receipt and be able to login to your course at eClassroom Sign In. You have 6 months (180 days) from your purchase to complete your course.
- If you have any questions, check out our FAQs or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Course + Credit Courses
- We have partnered with regionally-accredited universities to provide graduate-level professional development credits for our courses. See our University Partners tab. All courses taken for graduate-level credit receive both a Certificate of Completion and a University Transcript for your records.
- Upon enrollment, you will select the University from which you wish your credits.
- Upon completion of your course, CE Credits Online will forward all the required documentation to the University you selected.
- The University partner will process your course completion and provide a transcript that includes the name of the course, course number, number of credits, and your grade.
- You will receive directions on how to receive your transcript in email form, and you can also review the University Partners section of our website for more information.
- Note: If you would like to take courses with Adams State University, please purchase the Course Only version of the course, and, upon completion, email email@example.com asking to sign-up for graduate credit through Adams State University. Cost is $55 per credit.
- You must check with your district to ensure the credits received will meet your specific requirements. We will not be held responsible if your school, district or state does not accept the credits issued.
- CE Credits Online is an approved provider of CPE credits. TEA-approved CPE providers list. (always check with your district to determine eligibility).
- Upon successful completion of your course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion for your records that will include the name of the course and number of professional development hours completed.
- The Certificate of Completion acts as a record that verifies that a professional development course was taken and passed.