The goal of this course it to provide participants with the necessary skill set to identify, diagnose, and meet the needs of at-risk students. The first half of the course focuses on establishing a definition of what it means to be at-risk, identifying the causes and manifestations of those risks, and empathizing with the needs of at-risk students. In the second half of the course, participants will explore a variety of classroom-, district-, and community-based strategies and programs for students at risk. Throughout the course, participants will also be asked to reflect on their prior experience with at-risk students and apply the concepts and skills they learn to improve current practices.
In the final project, participants will put the knowledge and skills gained throughout the course to use in order to create a holistic at-risk student plan. The student plan will demonstrate the participant’s knowledge of the various strategies explored throughout the course in order to effectively address the needs of a specific at-risk student.
As a result of this course, participants will:
- Examine the factors and needs-deficiencies that put students at-risk.
- Assess the impact of various risk factors on the at-risk student and the overall classroom environment.
- Apply effective strategies for addressing the needs of at-risk students in their classrooms.
- Explore a variety of district- and community-based programs designed to meet the needs of at-risk students.
- Create a plan for the effective implementation of various classroom-, district-, and community-based strategies to address the unique needs of an at-risk student.
We offer online professional development courses for teachers in Texas that are eligible for Graduate-level Professional Development Credit and CPE credits towards Texas State License Renewal.
TEA-approved CPE providers list.
- Texas Approved CPE Provider # 500-494 (Since 2004)
- Our provider name is: CPE Credits Online
To Enroll in a Course:
- Choose the version of this course you would like to take: Course + Credit (you will receive an official University transcript) or Course Only (you will receive a Certificate of Completion to use to obtain your CPE credits).
- Add the course to your Cart and continuing shopping, if you’d like to purchase more courses.
- When you are ready to check out, go to your cart. You will be asked to log-in to your account or create a new account.
- Follow the enrollment and payment prompts. If you have a coupon/discount, you will be asked to enter it during the enrollment process.
- Upon purchase, you will receive an email receipt and be able to login to your course at eClassroom Sign In. You have 6 months (180 days) from your purchase to complete your course.
- If you have any questions, check out our FAQs or email email@example.com.
Course + Credit Courses
- We have partnered with regionally-accredited universities to provide graduate-level professional development credits for our courses. See our University Partners tab. All courses taken for graduate-level credit receive both a Certificate of Completion and a University Transcript for your records.
- Upon enrollment, you will select the University from which you wish your credits.
- Upon completion of your course, CE Credits Online will forward all the required documentation to the University you selected.
- The University partner will process your course completion and provide a transcript that includes the name of the course, course number, number of credits, and your grade.
- You will receive directions on how to receive your transcript in email form, and you can also review the University Partners section of our website for more information.
- Note: If you would like to take courses with Adams State University, please purchase the Course Only version of the course, and, upon completion, email firstname.lastname@example.org asking to sign-up for graduate credit through Adams State University. Cost is $55 per credit.
- You must check with your district to ensure the credits received will meet your specific requirements. We will not be held responsible if your school, district or state does not accept the credits issued.
- CE Credits Online is an approved provider of CPE credits. TEA-approved CPE providers list. (always check with your district to determine eligibility).
- Upon successful completion of your course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion for your records that will include the name of the course and number of professional development hours completed.
- The Certificate of Completion acts as a record that verifies that a professional development course was taken and passed.