This course focuses on effective ell strategies for English language reading instruction. Learn practical techniques and methods for teaching reading in any ELL environment. Explore key issues related to the successful teaching of reading, such as the role of reading within an ELL curriculum and detailed classroom teaching techniques. Topics include, engagement, motivation, modeling, intensive and extensive reading, vocabulary challenges, comprehension skills, reading rate, reading strategies lesson planning, selecting materials and assessment. This course provides many practical approaches and strategies to improve teaching and learning in the ELL reading environment.
Participants will be able to:
- Assess students level of motivation, and use strategies for motivating, engaging, and inspiring students in the reading classroom, and discover how students first-language (L1) reading skills impact their second language (L2) proficiency, especially in regard to reading.
- Integrate intensive and extensive reading in their curriculum, working with students to develop their reading rate and become more confident, fluent, and engaged readers.
- Integrate vocabulary teaching into reading curriculum using very valuable high-frequency word lists.
- Design a strong curriculum using the components of effective lesson planning, including how to integrate other language skills along with reading, come up with teaching objectives, sequence your activities, and measure your effectiveness.
- Assess students learning through formative and summative testing, and support the students as they prepare for standardized tests like the TOEFL and IELTS.
To Enroll in a Course:
- Select either: Course + Credit (credit fees are included, and you will receive an official University transcript). Review our regionally-accredited university partners on University Partners tab, or
- Course Only (you will receive a Certificate of Completion, but credits are not included). Review Credits Tab within each course description for a description of how you may use your Certificate of Completion in your area.
- Add the course to your Cart and continuing shopping, if you’d like to purchase more courses.
- When you are ready to check out, go to your cart. You will be asked to log into your account or create a new account.
- Follow the enrollment and payment prompts. If you have a coupon/discount, you will be asked to enter it during the enrollment process.
- Upon purchase, you will receive an email receipt and be able to login to your course at eclassroom.cecreditsonline.org. You have 180 days from your purchase to complete your course.
- If you have any questions, check out our FAQs or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Course + Credits Courses
- We have partnered with a number of regionally-accredited universities. See University Partners tab for information about our regionally-accredited university partners.
- All courses taken for graduate-level professional development credit receive both a Certificate of Completion for your records and an official University Transcript.
- Upon completion of your course, CE Credits Online will forward all the required documentation to the university you selected.
- Graduate Credits are available through Adams State University. Graduate-level professional development credits are available through Valley City State University and Humboldt State University. The University partner will process your course completion and provide a transcript that includes the name of the course, course number, number of credits, and your grade.
- You will receive directions on how to receive your transcript in email form, and you can also review the University Partners section of our website for more information.
- Note: If you would like to receive your credits from Adams State University, please purchase the Course Only version of the course, and, upon completion, email email@example.com asking for for graduate credit through Adams State University. Each graduate credit costs $55, and you will be emailed instructions.
- You must check with your district to ensure the credits received will meet your specific requirements. We will not be held responsible if your school, district or state does not accept the credits issued.
Course Only Courses
- We offer all of our courses as a Course Only option (credits not included) that can be used to meet your recertification or professional development needs (always check with your district/state to determine eligibility).
- Upon successful completion of your course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion for your records that will include the name of the course and number of professional development hours completed.
- The Certificate of Completion acts as a record that verifies that a professional development course was taken and passed.