Introduction to Universal Design for Learning (UDL)
K-12 , Instructional Strategies
- Course + Credits
- 3 Credits/45 Hrs.
- Course Only/45 Hrs.
- Cert of Completion
The goal of this course is to provide participants with an introductory understanding of Universal Design for Learning (UDL), as well as the skills necessary for implementing the principles of UDL into lesson planning and instructional practices. The course begins with an exploration of the history of UDL, its classroom applications, and the justifications for its use. The remainder of the course focuses on engaging diverse student populations by addressing the three learning networks that make up the core tenets of Universal Design (Affective, Recognition, and Strategic) through the use of technology and other instructional strategies. Throughout the course, participants will reflect on current teaching practices in the context of the UDL Guidelines.
In the final project, participants will put the knowledge and skills gained throughout the course to use in order to outline an instructional unit that incorporates the principles of Universal Design for Learning. The unit plan will demonstrate the participant’s knowledge of the principles, implementation strategies, and best practices explored throughout the course, as well as a reflection and evaluation of their current teaching practices and the potential value of UDL.
As a result of this course, participants will:
- Explore the origin of UDL and its adaptation to a set of guiding principles for education.
- Assess the potential of UDL to positively impact the modern classroom.
- Demonstrate a conceptual understanding of the Affective, Recognition, and Strategic networks.
- Apply a variety of tools and strategies in support of UDL principles and guidelines.
- Create a plan for the effective implementation of the UDL model into their classrooms.
To Enroll in a Course:
- Select either: Course + Credit (credit fees are included, and you will receive an official University transcript). Review our regionally-accredited university partners on University Partners tab, or
- Course Only (you will receive a Certificate of Completion, but credits are not included). Review Credits Tab within each course description for a description of how you may use your Certificate of Completion in your area.
- Add the course to your Cart and continuing shopping, if you’d like to purchase more courses.
- When you are ready to check out, go to your cart. You will be asked to log into your account or create a new account.
- Follow the enrollment and payment prompts. If you have a coupon/discount, you will be asked to enter it during the enrollment process.
- Upon purchase, you will receive an email receipt and be able to login to your course at eclassroom.cecreditsonline.org. You have 180 days from your purchase to complete your course.
- If you have any questions, check out our FAQs or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Course + Credits Courses
- We have partnered with a number of regionally-accredited universities. See University Partners tab for information about our regionally-accredited university partners.
- All courses taken for graduate-level professional development credit receive both a Certificate of Completion for your records and an official University Transcript.
- Upon completion of your course, CE Credits Online will forward all the required documentation to the university you selected.
- Graduate Credits are available through Adams State University. Graduate-level professional development credits are available through Valley City State University and Humboldt State University. The University partner will process your course completion and provide a transcript that includes the name of the course, course number, number of credits, and your grade.
- You will receive directions on how to receive your transcript in email form, and you can also review the University Partners section of our website for more information.
- Note: If you would like to receive your credits from Adams State University, please purchase the Course Only version of the course, and, upon completion, email email@example.com asking for for graduate credit through Adams State University. Each graduate credit costs $55, and you will be emailed instructions.
- You must check with your district to ensure the credits received will meet your specific requirements. We will not be held responsible if your school, district or state does not accept the credits issued.
Course Only Courses
- We offer all of our courses as a Course Only option (credits not included) that can be used to meet your recertification or professional development needs (always check with your district/state to determine eligibility).
- Upon successful completion of your course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion for your records that will include the name of the course and number of professional development hours completed.
- The Certificate of Completion acts as a record that verifies that a professional development course was taken and passed.