Autism Advocate: Supporting Students with ASD
3 Credits | 45 Hours
- Regular price
- Sale price
- Regular price
The goal of this course is to provide participants with the skills necessary to advocate for and effectively teach students with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). Those skills will be developed through an exploration of the defining components of ASD diagnosis, assessment, treatment, and services, as well as strategies, programs, and available services for addressing the key components of ASD through evidence-based practices. Throughout the course, participants will also be asked to reflect on their prior experience and apply the concepts and strategies they learn to improve current practices.
In the final project, participants will create a comprehensive student plan for an ASD-eligible student. The student plan will demonstrate the participant’s knowledge of the various concepts, practices, and resources explored throughout the course.
As a result of this course, teachers will:
- Define Autism Spectrum Disorder by its key components.
- Differentiate between medical diagnosis and school-based ASD eligibility.
- Examine the challenges that students with ASD face with social interactions, communication, and other behaviors.
- Apply programs, services, and classroom strategies for addressing the challenges faced by students with ASD .
- Create a plan for the effective implementation of various resources to provide a holistic experience for each and every student.
To Enroll in a Course:
- If you need a certificate of completion only, choose the Course Only option. Or…
- If you need an official transcript, choose the Course & University Credits option. See our University Partners page for more information about our regionally accredited university partners.
- Add the course to your cart.
- When you are ready to check out, go to your cart, and click “Check Out”.
- You will be asked to log into your account or create a new account.
- Follow the enrollment and payment prompts. If you have a gift card or discount code, you will enter it at the end of the enrollment process.
- Upon purchase, you will receive an email receipt and be able to log in to your course at eClassroom Sign in. You have 180 days (about 6 months) from your purchase to complete your course.
Graduate-level Professional Development Credits
- We have partnered with regionally-accredited universities to provide graduate-level professional development credits for all courses. Courses taken for graduate-level credit receive both a Certificate of Completion for your records and an official University Transcript.
- Credits may be requested from your account page.
- CE Credits Online will forward all the required documentation to the University you selected.
- The University partner will process your course completion and provide a transcript that includes the name of the course, course number, number of credits, and your grade.
- You will receive directions on how to receive your transcript in email form, and you can also review the University Partners section of our website for more information.
- You must check with your district to ensure the credits received will meet your specific requirements. We will not be held responsible if your school, district or state does not accept the credits issued.
- We offer all of our courses as a Course Only option that can be used to meet your LAUSD Independent Charter School recertification or professional development needs (always check with your district/state to determine eligibility).
- Course Only courses are eligible for Salary Points.
- Upon successful completion of your course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion for your records that will include the name of the course and number of professional development hours completed and should be submitted for Salary Points.
- The Certificate of Completion acts as a record that verifies that a professional development course was taken and passed.