Today on December 10, 2019 III. Niklas Elmehed was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. You may have seen the news online, but how much do you really know about the Nobel Prizes? Take this quiz to find out. Scroll to the bottom of the page to check your answers.
1. Who was the founder of the Nobel Peace Prize?
a. James Nobel
b. Alfred Nobel
c. Heidi Nobel
d. Eloise Nobel
2. The Swedish businessman left behind _________ in Swedish crowns to be invested in safe securities to be distributed in the form of prizes to those who benefitted mankind the most.
a. 265 million dollars
b. 170 million dollars
c. 100million dollars
d. 95 million dollars
3. What did Nobel invent to make his fortune?
a. Pain medicine
4. In Nobel’s will which fields did he declare would be awarded prizes?
a. Physics and Chemistry
b. Medicine or Physiology
c. Literature and Peace
d. All of the above
5. According to Nobel’s will, who was to award the recipient?
a. The president of the United States
b. 5 people selected by the Norwegian Storting (parliament)
c. The Nobel Foundation
d. 5 people selected by Nobel
6. When was the first Nobel Prize awarded?
7. Why is the Nobel Prize Award Ceremony always on December 10th?
a. That was the day he finalized his invention.
b. That was the day he was born.
c. That was the day he died.
d. That was the day his first child was born.
8. All the Nobel Prizes are awarded in Stockholm except…
a. The Nobel Peace Prize which Is awarded in Oslo, Norway.
b. The Nobel Prize in Literature, which is awarded in Helsinki. Finland.
c. The Nobel Prize in Chemistry, which is awarded in Copenhagen, Denmark.
d. The Nobel Prize in Medicine, which is awarded in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
9. Which organization has been awarded a Nobel Peace Prize three times?
a. International Committee of the Red Cross
b. Amnesty International
c. Doctors without Borders
d. United Nations Children’s Fund
10. How many Nobel Prizes have been awarded to women?