This course focuses on effective content-based instructional strategies for English language learners (ELL). Learn how to balance the dual focus on language and subject matter, and also learn a helpful framework for designing content-based classes and lessons. Examine different criteria for choosing and developing the content to teach, as well as factors influencing the choice, development, and adaptation of materials. Learn several useful activity types and how to integrate listening, speaking, reading, and writing in content-based instruction with students at different proficiency levels. Explore and learn how to implement technological resources available for developing content-based curricula, and understand how assessment is affected by the use of content-based instruction.
Participants will be able to:
- Apply the Six-T's Approach to developing their own content-based lessons. Originally proposed by Stoller and Grabe (1997), the Six-T's provides a useful framework for designing content-based courses.
- Integrate the four skills and language components in content-based instruction and develop a content-based unit that includes prototypical activities in order to create an integrated-skills focus.
- Work with students at various proficiency levels, using techniques related to using content-based instruction with (literate) beginners, false beginners, intermediate, and advanced language learners.
- Incorporate numerous technological resources that can be used in content-based instruction. These include Internet resources, such as websites that give information about language learning and teaching, as well as those that provide subject matter information.
- Assess issues in content-based instruction and assess learners' language skills and content knowledge with the main purposes of language testing and criteria used to evaluate language measures.
- Explain the role alternative and authentic assessment play in language testing and content-based instruction.
To Enroll in a Course:
- Select either: Course + Credit (credit fees are included, and you will receive an official University transcript). Review our regionally-accredited university partners on University Partners tab, or
- Course Only (you will receive a Certificate of Completion, but credits are not included). Review Credits Tab within each course description for a description of how you may use your Certificate of Completion in your area.
- Add the course to your Cart and continuing shopping, if you’d like to purchase more courses.
- When you are ready to check out, go to your cart. You will be asked to log into your account or create a new account.
- Follow the enrollment and payment prompts. If you have a coupon/discount, you will be asked to enter it during the enrollment process.
- Upon purchase, you will receive an email receipt and be able to login to your course at eclassroom.cecreditsonline.org. You have 180 days from your purchase to complete your course.
- If you have any questions, check out our FAQs or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Course + Credits Courses
- We have partnered with a number of regionally-accredited universities. See University Partners tab for information about our regionally-accredited university partners.
- All courses taken for graduate-level professional development credit receive both a Certificate of Completion for your records and an official University Transcript.
- Upon completion of your course, CE Credits Online will forward all the required documentation to the university you selected.
- Graduate Credits are available through Adams State University. Graduate-level professional development credits are available through Valley City State University and Humboldt State University. The University partner will process your course completion and provide a transcript that includes the name of the course, course number, number of credits, and your grade.
- You will receive directions on how to receive your transcript in email form, and you can also review the University Partners section of our website for more information.
- Note: If you would like to receive your credits from Adams State University, please purchase the Course Only version of the course, and, upon completion, email email@example.com asking for for graduate credit through Adams State University. Each graduate credit costs $55, and you will be emailed instructions.
- You must check with your district to ensure the credits received will meet your specific requirements. We will not be held responsible if your school, district or state does not accept the credits issued.
Course Only Courses
- We offer all of our courses as a Course Only option (credits not included) that can be used to meet your recertification or professional development needs (always check with your district/state to determine eligibility).
- Upon successful completion of your course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion for your records that will include the name of the course and number of professional development hours completed.
- The Certificate of Completion acts as a record that verifies that a professional development course was taken and passed.