This course focuses on effective strategies for English language reading instruction. Learn practical techniques and methods for teaching reading in any ELL environment. Explore key issues related to the successful teaching of reading, such as the role of reading within an ELL curriculum and detailed classroom teaching techniques. Topics include, engagement, motivation, modeling, intensive and extensive reading, vocabulary challenges, comprehension skills, reading rate, reading strategies lesson planning, selecting materials and assessment. This course provides many practical approaches and strategies to improve teaching and learning in the ELL reading environment.
Participants will be able to:
- Assess students level of motivation, and use strategies for motivating, engaging, and inspiring students in the reading classroom, and discover how students first-language (L1) reading skills impact their second language (L2) proficiency, especially in regard to reading.
- Integrate intensive and extensive reading in their curriculum, working with students to develop their reading rate and become more confident, fluent, and engaged readers.
- Integrate vocabulary teaching into reading curriculum using very valuable high-frequency word lists.
- Design a strong curriculum using the components of effective lesson planning, including how to integrate other language skills along with reading, come up with teaching objectives, sequence your activities, and measure your effectiveness.
- Assess students learning through formative and summative testing, and support the students as they prepare for standardized tests like the TOEFL and IELTS.
To Enroll in a Course:
- Select from one of two options: Course + Credits (credit fees are included, and you will receive an official University transcript) or Course Only (you will receive a Certificate of Completion to use to obtain your Clock Hours).
- Add the course to your Cart and continuing shopping, if you’d like to purchase more courses.
- When you are ready to check out, go to your cart. You will be asked to log-in to your account or create a new account.
- Follow the enrollment and payment prompts. If you have a coupon/discount, you will be asked to enter it during the enrollment process.
- Upon purchase, you will receive an email receipt and be able to login to your course at eClassroom Sign In. You have 6 months (180 days) from your purchase to complete your course.
- If you have any questions, check out our FAQs or email email@example.com.
Course + Credits Courses
- We have partnered with regionally-accredited universities to provide graduate-level professional development credits for our courses.
- See the University Partners tab for a description of our Partners.
- All courses taken for graduate credit receive both a Certificate of Completion for your records and an official University Transcript.
- Upon completion of your course, CE Credits Online will forward all the required documentation to the University you selected.
- The University partner will process your course completion and provide a transcript that includes the name of the course, course number, number of credits, and your grade.
- You will receive directions on how to receive your transcript in email form, and you can also review the University Partners section of our website for more information.
- Note: If you would like to take courses with Adams State University, please purchase the Course Only version of the course and upon completion email firstname.lastname@example.org letting us know you wish to receive your graduate credits from Adams State University. Each graduate credit costs $55.
- You must check with your district to ensure the credits received will meet your specific requirements. We will not be held responsible if your school, district or state does not accept the credits issued.
- Upon completion, you will automatically receive your Certificate of Completion via email.
- Submit your Certificate of Completion to: email@example.com and request a Clock Hour Form.
- Send your Clock Hour Form and payment for Clock Hours to:
Registrar at Olympic ESD 114
105 National Avenue N
Bremerton, WA 98312
Registrar Angela Wageman
Bridgette Golden at (360) 478-6868