Math anxiety is a pervasive problem faced by STEM students and teachers, both nationally and globally. Two studies conducted by Rose Vukovic, NYU Steinhardt Professor of Teaching and Learning, revealed that math anxiety adversely impacts math performance in schools as early as the primary grades. In addition to undermining student performance, math anxiety discourages students from pursuing math-related careers and reduces teaching self-efficacy among STEM teachers. Recent research in educational psychology has revealed important insights into the factors contributing to math anxiety as well as simple strategies that can help mitigate its effects. This course presents the current state of research on math anxiety along with evidence-based psychological strategies that can be implemented immediately to reduce the negative impact of math anxiety on students.
The first half of the course examines the topic of math anxiety and addresses questions such as ‘who suffers from it,’ ‘why does it develop,’ ‘how do we identify and assess it,’ and ‘what are the real-world consequences?’ The second half of the course introduces psychological safety as a critical feature of classrooms in which students feel safe to engage without fear of ridicule or judgment and examines the role of the teacher in fostering such an environment. Several simple interventions for combating math anxiety are presented along with the research evidence that attests to the effectiveness of these strategies. Downloadable templates are offered to facilitate implementation. Participants will ultimately complete a final project in which they develop a multi-faceted action plan, with measurable objectives and timelines, aimed at fostering psychological safety and mitigating the effects of math anxiety using the concepts and strategies learned throughout the course.
To Enroll in a Course:
- Select the salary advancement or recertification course or courses for Washington State teachers you wish to take.
- Choose the version of this course you would like to take: Course + Credits (you will receive an official University transcript) or Course Only (you will receive a Certificate of Completion).
- If you want Clock Hours, select the Course Only option of the course you wish to take.
- Add the course to your Cart and continuing shopping, if you’d like to purchase more courses.
- When you are ready to check out, go to your cart. You will be asked to log-in to your account or create a new account.
- Follow the enrollment and payment prompts. If you have a coupon/discount, you will be asked to enter it during the enrollment process.
- Upon purchase, you will receive an email receipt and be able to login to your course in our eClassroom. You have 180 days from your purchase to complete your course.
- If you have any questions, check out our FAQs or email email@example.com.
Course + Credits Courses
- We have partnered with regionally-accredited universities to provide graduate-level professional development credits for our courses. See University Partners tab for more information on our university partners. All courses taken for graduate credit receive both a Certificate of Completion and an official University Transcript.
- Select Course + Credits option of the course(s) you wish. Credit fees are included in the cost of the course.
- Upon completion of your course, CE Credits Online will forward all the required documentation to the University you selected.
- The University partner will process your course completion and provide a transcript that includes the name of the course, course number, number of credits, and your grade.
- You will receive directions on how to receive your transcript in email form, and you can also review the University Partners section of our website for more information.
- Note: If you would like to receive your academic credits from Adams State University, please purchase the Course Only option of the course, and, upon completion, email firstname.lastname@example.org informing us you wish graduate credit from Adams State University. We will email you instructions. Each graduate credit costs $55.
- You must check with your district to ensure the credits received will meet your specific requirements. We will not be held responsible if your school, district or state does not accept the credits issued.
Course Only Courses
- We offer all of our courses as a Course Only option that can be used to meet your Washington State recertification or professional development needs, such as Clock Hours. (Check with your district to verify eligibility).
- Upon successful completion of your course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion for your records that will include the name of the course and number of professional development hours completed.
- The Certificate of Completion acts as a record that verifies that a professional development course was taken and passed.
Obtaining Clock Hours:
Registrar Registrar at Olympic ESD 114
- Upon completion, you will automatically receive your Certificate of Completion via email.
- Submit your Certificate of Completion to: email@example.com and request a Clock Hour Form.
- Send your Clock Hour Form and payment for Clock Hours to:
105 National Avenue N
Bremerton, WA 98312
Angela Wageman Registrar
Angela Wageman at (360) 405-5801
Bridgette Golden Registrar
Bridgette Golden at (360) 478-6868