ELL Reading: Teaching Strategies for K-12
3 Lane Credits | 45 Hours
- Regular price
- Sale price
- Regular price
This course focuses on effective ell strategies for English language reading instruction. Learn practical techniques and methods for teaching reading in any ELL environment. Explore key issues related to the successful teaching of reading, such as the role of reading within an ELL curriculum and detailed classroom teaching techniques. Topics include, engagement, motivation, modeling, intensive and extensive reading, vocabulary challenges, comprehension skills, reading rate, reading strategies lesson planning, selecting materials and assessment. This course provides many practical approaches and strategies to improve teaching and learning in the ELL reading environment.
Teachers will be able to:
- Assess students level of motivation, and use strategies for motivating, engaging, and inspiring students in the reading classroom, and discover how students first-language (L1) reading skills impact their second language (L2) proficiency, especially in regard to reading.
- Integrate intensive and extensive reading in their curriculum, working with students to develop their reading rate and become more confident, fluent, and engaged readers.
- Integrate vocabulary teaching into reading curriculum using very valuable high-frequency word lists.
- Design a strong curriculum using the components of effective lesson planning, including how to integrate other language skills along with reading, come up with teaching objectives, sequence your activities, and measure your effectiveness.
- Assess students learning through formative and summative testing, and support the students as they prepare for standardized tests like the TOEFL and IELTS.
To Enroll in a Course:
- You must first register with CPS.
- Go to the CPS Learning Hub: and Sign In, then
- Enter the Class Code listed after your course below:
- Coaching to Improve Teaching and Learning - (CEC-LC-COA)
- Conducting the Parent Conference - (CEC-LC-CPC)
- Content-based Instructional Strategies for ELL - (CEC-LC-CBI)
- Developing Listening Comprehension in English Language Learners - (CEC-LC-DLC)
- ELL Language Assessment and Related Issues in the K- 12 Classroom: An Introduction - (CEC-LC-ARI)
- ELL Reading: Teaching Strategies for K-12 - (CEC-LC-ELR)
- Maximizing Engagement for All Learners - (CEC-LC-MEL)
- Supporting UDL and the Common Core Standards with Interactive Whiteboard Systems - (CEC-LC-2it-UDL)
- Transforming Language Arts Instruction with Interactive Whiteboard Systems - (CEC-LC-2IT-LA)
- Return to CE Credits Online and go to our Chicago Public Schools page.
- Add the course to your cart.
- When you are ready to check out, go to your cart, and click “Check Out”.
- You will be asked to log into your account or create a new account.
- Follow the enrollment and payment prompts. If you have a gift card or discount code, you will enter it at the end of the enrollment process.
- Upon purchase, you will receive an email receipt and be able to log in to your course at eClassroom Sign in. You have 180 days (about 6 months) from your purchase to complete your course.
Obtaining Lane Credits
- CE Credits Online will provide CPS with the documentation necessary for you to receive your Lane Credits.
Obtaining Clock Hours/CPDUs
- The Certificate of Completion you receive when you complete your course must be submitted to CPS to receive your Clock Hours.
Obtaining Graduate-Level Professional Development Credits
- Email email@example.com and let us know you want university credits and from which university.
- CE Credits Online will email you instructions on how to pay for the credits and any other instructions you will need.
- CE Credits Online will forward to the university of your choice your payment and the documentation necessary for you to receive an official transcript.
- You must check with your district to ensure the credits received will meet your specific requirements. We will not be held responsible if your school, district or state does not accept the credits issued.