The goal of this course is to provide participants with the skills necessary to advocate for and effectively teach students with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). Those skills will be developed through an exploration of the defining components of ASD diagnosis, assessment, treatment, and services, as well as strategies, programs, and available services for addressing the key components of ASD through evidence-based practices. Throughout the course, participants will also be asked to reflect on their prior experience and apply the concepts and strategies they learn to improve current practices.
In the final project, participants will create a comprehensive student plan for an ASD-eligible student. The student plan will demonstrate the participant’s knowledge of the various concepts, practices, and resources explored throughout the course.
As a result of this course, participants will:
- Define Autism Spectrum Disorder by its key components.
- Differentiate between medical diagnosis and school-based ASD eligibility.
- Examine the challenges that students with ASD face with social interactions, communication, and other behaviors.
- Apply programs, services, and classroom strategies for addressing the challenges faced by students with ASD .
- Create a plan for the effective implementation of various resources to provide a holistic experience for each and every student.
Enrollment is a two-step process:
To Register/Enroll in a Course:
- Register with WA NCESD 171 by going to ESD 171 pdenroller
- Once you have registered, NCESD 171 will email you a prepaid enrollment code.
- Begin at CE Credits Online educational-service-district-171
- Select your course and click “Add to Cart”.
- Review cart and click “Login”.
- If you’re a new user, click “Create account”. If you’re a returning user, log in with your email and password.
- You will now be returned to the cart. Enter your enrollment code and click “Validate”.
- Click “Check Out”.
- Complete your order by entering your contact information. Click “Continue to Payment Method”. (You will not be charged or need to enter a credit card number)
- Click “Complete Order”.
- If you are a new user, you will receive an automated email from Schoology with your initial eClassroom Sign In information.
- You have 6 months (180 days) from your enrollment date to complete your course.
- If you have any questions, check out our FAQs or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upon Course Completion:
Graduate-Level Professional Development Credits
- We have partnered with regionally-accredited universities to provide graduate-level professional development credits for our courses. All courses taken for graduate credit receive both a Certificate of Completion and a University Transcript for your records.
- Upon completion of your course, email email@example.com to let us know you want university credits and which university you have selected for those credits from our list of regionally-accredited university partners. See University Partners tab.
- CE Credits Online will email you instructions on how to pay for the credits.
- CE Credits Online will forward all the required documentation to the University you selected.
- The University partner will process your course completion and provide a transcript that includes the name of the course, course number, number of credits, and your grade.
- You will receive directions on how to receive your transcript in email form, and you can also review the University Partners section of our website for more information.
- You must check with your district to ensure the credits received will meet your specific requirements. We will not be held responsible if your school, district or state does not accept the credits issued.
Obtaining Clock Hours
- Upon successful completion of your course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion for your records that will include the name of the course and number of professional development hours completed.
- The Certificate of Completion is designed as a record that verifies that a professional development course was taken and passed. This Certificate of Completion is required to obtain your Clock Hours.
- Upon receipt of your Certificate of Completion, send a copy of it to Molly Naff at North Central ESD, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Kayla will mark your course as complete.
- You will then be able to complete a quick evaluation and purchase your Clock Hours.
- Questions? Contact Molly Naff at 509-888-7042 or email her at email@example.com.